Monday, February 09, 2009

W6W3 - Not Quite


well . . . i had to walk.  like twice.  i know, i know.  mary was powerless to stop me.  it was truly awful.  here's what happened - first off we started running and mary let me know via her garmin that the 6 mph (10 min mile) pace my watch said i had been running at was really an 11.25 min mile.  i suspected as much, but was still really bummed out and annoyed.  annoyed just because i want my foot pod to report the right pace (at least for the most part).  then, because i was with mary, i ran a little faster than normal, which hurt me later on.  she totally told me she would go at whatever speed i wanted, but still, i felt like i should go faster.  that was a bad idea.  at about the 14 minute mark i stopped and walked for a minute.  mary protested loudly.  i could have kept going but another 11 minutes felt like forever.  and really, i think having another person with me (this was a first for me) kinda threw me off.  i went faster than normal.  i didn't slow down as much as i should have when i started having trouble.  i didn't say my mantra or do the 'self-talk' that we normally do to get through a tough spot.  it was really windy (we ran into the wind on the way back).  and i had to go to the bathroom fairly bad.  i know - wah.  after a minute i started up again but then 4 or 5 minutes before the end i walked again.  i did run the last 3 minutes.  by that point my HR was over 190 and i had a stich in my side.  it was really hard.  i just hope that on wednesday it is slightly less hard.  i'll try again with mary in a week to see if i have any improvement.  so the distance is probably off - mary's garmin said we ran 1.9 miles in the 25 minutes.  so total milage was probably about 2.7 or 2.8.  but dude!  check out my calories burned!!  

Time: 42.53
Distance: 3.2
Average HR: 157
Max HR: 193
Calories: 503

4 comments:

Clare said...

Okay my favorite part of this post is "but dude! check out my calories burned!!" Total upside! I'm a little jealous. I can't burn more than 300ish. I know, I know.

Okay so you get all of it. You shouldn't have run faster etc. This is a hard, hard week. Don't make it harder! Meanwhile, I've rented that movie just because I want to hear the mantra and adopt it myself. Hopefully I'll watch it this weekend.

Don't get discouraged if the next run is just as hard. You are still building, and it's working. It just takes time. It sounds so cult'ish but really, have faith in the program that you can do this and do the next thing.

Hardlynot said...

OMG i'm so excited that you rented it!!! let me know what you think!!! not suitable for your child though. the F word is peppered throughout. and the mantra part comes in the last 1/4th of the movie when he is on his boat.

at one point, slightly panting, i say to mary - my HR is 175, what's yours. hers was like 133. hate her.

Mary said...

heh heh. Well you could blame my low HR on my old age I guess.

Seriously I think you did very well. So you walked a bit, so what? You'll do the whole thing next time. If it makes you feel better, I did a bit of walking up a hill in Denver this weekend. I felt like crap and just had to walk for a couple minutes. It happens.

We'll re-calibrate the pod soon and even though we don't care about speed, I think your pace was quite respectable for someone who has just started. You're sticking with it and that's what matters. It will get easier - or at least less sucky.

Ann and Tim said...

Lisa!

You should be happy she didn't run circles around you while telling you to go faster, as was dont to her when she was first starting!!

Stick with it - it will get easier!