There are widely varying opinions about what constitutes a good recovery meal, but in summary, it's taken within 30 minutes of a workout (1 hour at most), and contains at least a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein (very low fat). I've read from a number of places that chocolate milk actually makes a pretty good recovery meal, as long as it is the 1% (or ideally fat free) version. Also shoot for something that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup.
Just something to think about! I would definitely consider doing this after your strength training and possibly after the running class and other runs. May not be a necessary after the yoga.

5 comments:
I do a smoothie after working out with Lauren, based on something else I read - lots o' carbs etc. I don't worry as much after yoga or running because they aren't even close to being as strenuous as the strength stuff, but I do try to eat a banana after a run. Carbs, sugar...stuff ya need! I'll look at that link though.
I love chocolate milk (fat-free of course) and a PB&J whole wheat bagel after a hard run or ride or lifting.
Then plenty of water and maybe a beer.
mary - you and i finally agree on something! the fat free choco milk. isn't that nice . . .
clare - think about buying some protein powder and throwing in a scoop when you make your smoothie. you should have carbs and protein.
Oh yes, there is protein in there. I don't make the smoothie - Smoothie King does. :)
Post a Comment