Thursday, February 05, 2009

W6W1 - Best. Run. Ever!

I've read all the horror stories about how going from the 20 minute run back to the intervals is like the worst thing ever, but really, it was delightful.  Delightful!  Okay, maybe not delightful, but it was pretty great.  I sort of thought it would be.  I did put it off all day today, because a part of me always thinks the workout will be awful.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  Maybe some of it had to do with the fact that I thought it was two 8 minute intervals and a 5 minute.  Instead, it was two 5 minute intervals and an 8 minute.  I even checked the workout before I left the house.  And I listened to it on the podcast, but by the time I got down to the trail all was forgotten.  

I decided to take Hazel today for three reasons:  1) She really, really wanted to go.  She now knows what it means when I put on my running clothes.  She gets very excited.  2) She needs to get in shape too.  And 3) I'm not training for the Olympic time trials.  I don't need to be so rigid.  It's okay if she needs to stop to go to the bathroom and even if she can't go quite as fast as I want her too.  She'll get there.

And she did great.  The first half we ran at about 6 mph and the second half between 5.5 and 5.8.  There were a few times when it dipped down, but she did great.  She did stop once during a run interval but it was only for 10 or 15 seconds.  I was very encouraging to her this time.  I'm glad I took her.

I was surprised when the first 5 minute interval ended.  I could have gone much further.  The eight minute went good as well.  Even the final 5 minute interval went well.  I could have kept going.  I wasn't even that tired at the end.  And I didn't even have to say my 'Burn After Reading Mantra' (I'm bigger, I'm back, I'm better, I'm back, than ever, I'm back, you f*ckers, I'm back).  It also makes me happy each time to make it further and further down the trail.  

Yay.

Time: 40.20
Distance: 2.9
Average HR: 155
Max HR: 189
Calories: 464

2 comments:

Clare said...

Fantastic! My favorite part of this is "I don't need to be so rigid." Amen! You were due a good run.

Mary said...

Good job! And good for Hazel too.