Monday, February 09, 2009

Day 3 of Running Class

It was raining pretty hard so I was extra pleased with myself for going. But I needed to run today and it was really hot and stuffy in the house and there was no way I was getting on the treadmill if she had cancelled class. So I was glad she didn't.

We did our warm up run, which was hard. Sometimes I just don't feel it; this was one of those mornings. We went straight from the warm up to drills and I had to catch my breath first and then catch up with them. After drills we did "speed play." So, for a mile, we would run faster than normal for a minute, recover for a minute, run, recover, so on and so forth. I just couldn't do it at first. Like I said, just not quite right this morning. But she said walk to recover and once I started that the running intervals were fine. I also think that was the point where I finally got warmed up, and got used to my shoes being completely water logged. Another reason for being off today - burning sinus pain all through the right side of my face. Good times.

So my feet HURT. I knew they were going to. I didn't run yesterday but could tell they were tender. When I started my warm up today it was no fun, and they hurt the entire hour. I am thinking that they are just having to get used to my running longer distances not on a treadmill, and that I just need to push through the pain and toughen them up. It isn't an injury, they are just tender. I got my shoes in November, I only wear them to run...don't think it's necessarily a shoe issue. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

Hardlynot said...

i don't think it can be a shoe issue. shoe life is from 350-400 miles from what i've heard. i don't think you've gone that far. i can never remember when i get my shoes, but next time i buy a new pair i'm resetting the odometer on my polar. that way i can know how many miles they have.

i bet your feet are getting used to being outside. from what mary says, the outside is much different shock wise from the treadmill. (see mary - i do listen to you)

hopefully you don't have blisters from the rain. seems like there would be more moving around within wet shoes.

i personally have not had a problem with tender feet.

Hardlynot said...

but now as i think about it, my feet did hurt when i was walking alot in europe. like hurt. tender to the touch. as in - it was oh so wonderful to get off my feet.

maybe all that prancing around with the speed drills is making them hurt?

Clare said...

I agree about the shoes. I do track my mileage and think I'll be able to keep shoes for at least six months. There's a chance though that I may need a shoe with more support in the heel or something though. But, I am also trying hard not to strike with my heel. Chris says I should be striking more mid foot. But in the meantime, I am just going to make the feet run anyway. Poor feet. And yeah, the drills definitely are prancing.

What time are you two running? I can't wait for that report!

Hardlynot said...

i paid attention last time and i think i definitely strike mid foot. like slightly below the pad ( i forget what it's called). there isn't much rolling down to the heel. its pretty much strike at mid foot then almost immediately slight roll down to heel. not sure if that is right but that is the way i'm doing it.

when you bought shoes did someone at the store watch you run?

mary is flying back from denver this afternoon. we're going to go around 6 or 7. hope it's not too windy. we're also going to match her garmin against my polar to see what speed i'm really running. i think she thinks it slightly improbable that i'm running at 5.5 to 6.5. we shall see tonight!

Mary said...

I think it's a combination of the increased distances and changing surfaces.

I have occasional problems with plantar fascitis, which is an inflammation in the fascia on the bottom of your feet ( I think ). Does it hurt like hell in the morning but then loosen up as you walk on it? That's a good sign of PF.

Regardless, I would ice it, take some ibuprofen and see if it feels better by easing up a little.

You're pretty gung-ho, which is cool, but you'll have to be careful not to do too much, too soon.

Clare said...

Ah Chris said to ice it too and that is the very last thing I want to do! Hate cold! No, not worse in morning. I really think what I've got here are wimpy feet.