Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Update

I went to my first physical therapy session yesterday. I liked the PT WAY more than the doctor. When he explained to me what was going on, it all made sense. And he used pictures...which is a good way to explain things to me...still fried from grad school...

So the problem is my posterior tibialis. If I spelled that right. And it's a problem for numerous reasons. I pronate, I don't have the range of motion I should in my foot, my calves are 1) weak and 2) tight, both of which contribute. I've got this whole list of crap I'm supposed to do, and I'm totally game, but I've really got to figure out when I am going to fit that in my day. I think I need to do it in the morning. Blah.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hooray the blog is not moribund.

So how do they determine that you have weak, tight calves? Are you forbidden from running?

I think I'm going to go to PT. I've never found the doctors to be all that helpful.

Anyway - good luck!

Clare said...

They had me lie on my stomach and the pt pushed down on my feet and I pushed back using my calves. Apparently I couldn't push hard enough. Meanwhile, I leg press 382...I guess I've just never paid attention to the calves.

Yeah no running for "months." I'm over it. I will be a good patient and fix all this and then start fresh when I can. Now I just have to figure out how to not put weight back on!

Mary said...

Months?! I'm sorry, that sucks.

Spinning classes are an OK substitute if you have the opportunity. It's inside, which I don't care for, but we do alot of intervals and high-intensity work. I think it has helped my running.

Hang in there.

Hardlynot said...

i'm sorry clare - that does suck. are you okay about it all? how did all this happen? WHY did it happen? if you had the right shoes for the pronation and your calves had been stronger, would this have still happened? how does one typically strengthen their calves?

Clare said...

Yeah I'm totally okay with although I have to reschedule my pt apt for next week because I didn't do any of it this week. I'm going to use the weekend to get organized and then hit it. I've decided I'll rejoin my gym while I can't run so I can do a spin class, like Mary suggested, and get on the elliptical. Otherwise I've got problems...I ate mexican food twice yesterday...

So, I'll work out a schedule for myself where I hit the gym a lot etc.

I think I would have had problems even with stronger calves. I just have some calf exercises to do.