Tuesday, December 23, 2008

W1W1

it has begun.

i finally made it to the gym tonight. and surprisingly, my mom came with me. i've been trying to get my mom to start going to the gym, with little luck. there is a ginormous baptist church within 2 minutes of my parents house. it also has a gym, so that it's members can grow both "physically and spiritually". but tonight she concented to go because she was sad i was going by myself. whatever works . . .

it wasn't too bad for the first workout. i didn't use the machines or anything because i knew my mom would want to leave after 30 minutes. not counting the warmup/cooldown i walked at 3.5 and ran at 5. it felt pretty good although i was a little tired at the end. looking forward to more! i think i will try to do more than the 3x a week prescribed by c25k. since my cardiac aptitude is so poor right now, i think it wouldn't hurt to repeat the workout once or twice more during the week. we'll see though.

i wasn't wearing my watch, but here are the basic stats:

time: 30 minutes
distance: 1.85 miles
max hr: 182

4 comments:

Clare said...

Yay! Good for you! I run at 4.6 (I know, it's all I can do without the heart really freaking out) and walk at 3.8. So clearly in a race, you would beat me. Now, everything I have read cautions against doing more but if you feel you must, then do it but be careful.

Did your mom enjoy it?

Hardlynot said...

when i run outside i go slower. it's harder for me to go slower on the treadmill for some reason. it's not as natural for me. outside i just run at whatever pace feels right. and if i'm with hazel, that pace is SLOW. she is worse than i am. we both need to get in shape.

i don't know if my mom enjoyed it. she walked around the little track. she went a mile and then stopped and waited for me to finish. she told me she felt she had gone far enough. i tried to just encourage her.

oh and clare . . . i'm pretty sure you could whip me in a race.

Hardlynot said...

wait, you really think i should just stick to the 3x a week?? don't you think it would only benefit me to make it 4 or 5 times a week? i will see . . .

Clare said...

With the disclaimer that I don't really know what I'm talking about, yes. I think stick to the run thing every other day, and just walk otherwise. Slow and steady just makes more sense to me. I want to stick with the program for the 9 weeks - go slower if I need to but not faster, and then from there ramp it up if I can. What you don't want to have happen is start to hate it, get burned out, etc.