Monday, December 29, 2008

Strength Stuff

I work out with a trainer who also happens to be one of my best friends. Basically, she destroys me once a week and has done so since July. This isn't your garden variety strength training workout. The program needs minimally 5 days of rest in between workouts - you really do work your muscles THAT hard. I say all this in response to your idea that I should do strength more often. Now, that said, I do think I am going to do the 100 push-ups thing. That should help. Anyway, I am now sitting at my desk with my arms trembling. Good times. Wore my heart rate monitor just because I was curious. Here are the stats:

Duration: 30:07
In zone: 8:18
Avg hr: 111
Max hr: 137
Calories: 125

My heart rate actually got up more than I thought it would. There is no cardio, just machines. Now, on top of this, I am going to attempt Week 3 Workout 1 tonight. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

Hardlynot said...

so i'm curious, lauren the trainer wouldn't recommend lifting more than once a week? i'm not a trainer, but i've never heard about a strength training program that is only once a week. typically you rest the muscle group worked for one or two days in between workouts. what do i know though. maybe if i worked out with lauren i would feel it was sufficient for the whole week too.

also, not sure if this is possible because of work, but if you did some fast walking or the efx or the run/walk workout directly before lifting (are you?), you would notice that your hr is much higher during the lifting. at least it is for me. when i walk/run first and then lift my hr stays much higher during all my lifting.

Clare said...

Yeah, there is a book about this workout called "the power of 10". You rest for 5 - 7 days and the resting part is critical. Cardio is okay but no lifting etc. I think the working out beforehand would be awesome but I usually go during the workday so wouldn't be able to fit it in.