Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm Back

Okay, I'm back.  Finally.  After 3 weeks of non-activity, I'm back.  It was not what I would call enjoyable.  The Forerunner (305) worked well.  I have a screen with HR, distance, pace and time.  Halfway through the HR got all crazy and went down to 75.  This was obviously a mistake.  I'm not really happy about this - the HR being all glitchy.  I never had any problems with the HR on my polar.  It took quite awhile for it to correct itself too.  It was 48 out but it felt more like 70.  Hazel was all frothy at the mouth - and she looked really hot.  I'm rethinking taking her running.  She's 8 years old. I'm not sure how good it is to run her when she is considered a 'senior'.  Thoughts?

My goal was to go 20 minutes.  Since it's been 3 weeks, I thought I should take it easy.  Hazel lagged behind me the second half.  And we walked some of it - the last 5 minutes.  Hazel was really tired and was going slowly (14 min + pace).  I think going forward it would be better to walk her daily and then go out myself.  

Clare - I got a new watch.  It's kind of fun seeing the google earth images of where you went.  I'm still figuring out the software (not Garmin Training Center).  Here is an image of one of the views.

6 comments:

Clare said...

Good! I'm glad you just got out and did it. That's great. Ease back in. I like the walk Hazel/run without her deal. I tried running with Pokey and it was just too much distraction even though she's pretty good on the leash.

Mary said...

I really don't think Hazel is too old to do anything, she's just out of shape. But a daily walk would probably be better for her.

I've never had an issue with my Garmin HR. Maybe you didn't have a good seal to your chest? Did you give it a good lick before you started - well I usually don't lick the strap but...

Hardlynot said...

no comment on the map mary? i've read you shouldn't run large breed dogs over the age of 7. i don't know if hazel constitutes a 'large breed dog'. this is because of the hip displaysia that they are prone to. i'm taking her to the vet today - i'm going to ask.

re: the garmin - i thought i had a good seal. i didn't lick it, but i did wet it first. so you don't wet it at all?? maybe you sweat quicker/more.

Hardlynot said...

the thing about running without hazel is that she has gotten used to going and she looks so sad when i leave her. its gotten automatic for her - she hydrates when she sees me putting on the HR strap.

Mary said...

The map is great. I love how they always make the elevation so distorted, like the Trolley Trail is a mountain or something.

Maybe Hazel would be happy with daily walks so she wouldn't be so sad if you run without her.

I wet the HR strap first- I've just never had a problem with it going weird like that.

Hardlynot said...

did you notice the difference in altitude between the start and end point? since it was exactly the same starting/stopping point, it's annoying that the 305 says that there is a difference.

maybe my strap isn't tight enough. i miss the polar strap. it was like a second skin.